Sunday, November 28, 2010

Muriel's throw


For the past few years, I have taken an ornament from the Be A Santa To A Senior tree at Walgreens. It's a great charity that is kind of like the Angel Tree, only it benefits elderly people in nursing homes who may not have family to provide things for them. Most of the requests are for basic items like socks, sweats, lotion... it's heartbreaking in a way. This year, I took Muriel's ornament. She requested lotion, perfume, a stuffed animal, and a lap throw. I decided to make her stuffed animal and her lap throw.

The pattern I used is the One Skein Throw, which is only one skein if you are using a Red Heart one pound skein. Most skeins of yarn are between 5-7 oz. And since I think Red Heart yarn feels terrible, I went with another brand. It took just a little over 2 skeins. I could have almost finished the main part of the blanket with 2. I almost shortened it by a row and did the border in brown, but I decided it wouldn't look that great. The throw is smaller than I thought it would be.... more the size of a baby blanket. Izzy thought it was a perfect size for her to take to bed, which I vetoed pretty fast. It took me just about a week to finish it, but it wouldn't have taken that long if I hadn't been working on other projects at the same time.

I really hope she enjoys it and that it's big enough to keep her lap warm (because it's not big enough to keep much else warm).

No comments: