Thursday, August 12, 2010

One down... two to go...

I think I mentioned before that I had found an awesome tutorial for lunch bags.  It's at Pink Penguin.  I used her fabric bag tutorial (enlarged) to make the girls' Easter baskets.  I made one of the bags tonight:


Ignore the multi-colored yarn.  I was just testing out the drawstring function and I forgot to get cording today.  I really like it and I hope Olivia does.  She seemed a little disappointed that we weren't going to go buy one.  I guess I should get used to that... eventually it will probably be so uncool for me to make her stuff.  I have to make one for the other two also. 

I made one change to the pattern.  I added some fleece in between the lining and outer fabric, to kind of insulate the bag a bit. 

Last night, I was sitting here thinking about what I'm going to do with my Laura Gunn fabric that I'm in love with.  I don't think I ever posted a picture of it:


It's the gorgeous green fabric with purple pods.  The pattern itself is larger than I expected, but that's no big deal.  As I was looking at it and thinking it would be just a shame to cut up that beautiful fabric, I had an idea.  Why not make a quilt out of it?  Quilts don't have to be patchwork.  So I went and got a coordinating solid color (it coordinates much better in person... it looks off in this picture) to back it with and some quilt batting.  And, I know I'm biting off WAY more than I'm going to want to chew... but I'm going to hand quilt it.  I'm going to trace the vines and pods.  I have everything I need except a hoop.  But I need to get the lunch bags finished before beginning this monster project.  And yep, my first quilt is still not quilted....  I'll get to it eventually.


No comments: